FRIENDS OF ABINGDON ABBEY BUILDINGS TRUST
The Friends of Abingdon Abbey Buildings Trust (FOAABT) is seeking a Cleaner/Caretaker to look after basic aspects of operating the Abbey Buildings. The job is part-time, involves very flexible hours, including potential late evenings and weekends, and seasonal variations (from 8 hours/week in winter, to around 15 hours in some summer weeks). The role will require close collaboration with the Curator who will advise on the day to day schedule of work required.
Main purpose of the role
- To care for and maintain the Abingdon Abbey Buildings.
- To ensure the buildings are in a clean and correctly configured state ready for, and after, lettings, visits and events
Overview of duties
- Undertake regular cleaning of the Lower Hall, Long Gallery (including catering area), Checker and Green Rooms at least once per week, more during busy times.
- Open and prepare the buildings for hirers, including setting up rooms / furniture as required to a schedule agreed with the Curator.
- Empty bins as required throughout the buildings; put out and retrieve collection bins for refuse contractor weekly.
- Undertake routine minor maintenance such as changing light bulbs or similar as required.
- Maintain the approaches to the buildings e.g. by sweeping paths, putting down salt in winter etc.
- Ensure the buildings are secured when not in use.
Any equipment and materials needed to do the job will be provided.
- Must be able to work flexibly, including undertaking tasks at short notice, and be capable of taking the initiative when required.
- Must be diligent, and undertake tasks in a timely fashion and to a high level.
- Personable – able to engage effectively with hirers, volunteers, neighbours and the general public.
- The person must be capable of the significant physical aspects of the role, including moving furniture, bins etc as required.
- Some knowledge of the practical aspects of building management would be an advantage.
- Would ideally suit someone living close to the Abbey Buildings
- Must have the legal right to work in the UK
The contract will be on an ongoing basis with one month’s notice on either side. The role is paid hourly (rate to be agreed), with a guaranteed 8 hours per week. Additional hours worked with the agreement of the Curator will be paid at the same rate, monthly, in arrears. Statutory annual leave entitlement will be calculated on a pro-rata basis.To apply, please send your CV (including names/addresses of referees) and covering letter by email to Andy McLeod firstname.lastname@example.org Tuesday 31st